Living in New Jersey? Then make sure you pay attention to this blog. Even though New Jersey is one of the smallest states in the US, it is densely populated, and is the home to many people. As a responsible homeowner, you must know that The Garden State faces some of the most devastating storms. The weather conditions here can cause damage to both you and your home.
A storm can be a scary event for anyone. It’s important to know how to handle your home and property after a storm causes damage to your home. One of the most common issues homeowners face is damage to their roofs. This article will go over 5 steps to repairing your roof after a storm has passed through:
#1 Assess The Damage
In order to repair roof damage caused by a storm, you must first assess the magnitude of the storm damage. You need to start with the interiors of your home, and then move to the outside. It would be advisable that you wait for the storm to pass away before you step out of your home. Note that the first and most important thing you need to do, is make sure your family is safe.
You should always ensure your own safety, and that of your family, before attempting storm damage roof repair. Here are some tips that can help you stay safe:
- Carefully move around the house, and carry a flashlight if it is dark. If you have kids, check on them to make sure they are ok.
- Pay attention to areas where you see standing water or a downed power line/wiring. Avoid these areas entirely, and keep your kids and pets away from these areas as well.
- If you are working on a ladder, be careful not to put too much weight on one side of it—this can cause it to slip out from under you and send you falling toward the ground.
- When working at ground level, or inside a building, avoid standing near windows where debris may fly in.
The total extent of the damage may not be visible at first, so be cautious in your approach.
#2 Damage Control
Storms affect your roofing system the most. This is because your roof is the first line of defense for your home, and it typically withstands the toughest weather conditions. Once the interior of your home has been thoroughly inspected, look at the outside area for damage. Below we have listed some of the most common signs that indicate your roof is damaged and needs storm damage roof repair.
- Take note of any broken windows or doors, and missing shingles that might have been knocked loose during the storm.
- Look for water damage in the form of mold or mildew, as well as missing gutters that could cause water to drain into your home instead of away from it.
- Finally, look for missing siding on the roof. This is an indicator that the wind may have blown away some of your protection against future storms.
All the signs given above are pretty easy to detect, as they are visible to someone that has no experience in the roofing industry. However, there are a lot of other signs that you may not be able to recognize if you are not a professional. If you are not trained, it is better to call a roofing professional for a thorough inspection after a storm. A roof inspector is trained to catch the ‘hidden’ issues on your roof, and will work with necessary safety equipment so your entire roof can be inspected safely.
If the damage is too severe, you can try to make temporary fixes as well. This will help reduce further damage until a professional roofing contractor can get to your house. You can cover the leaking areas with a bucket, or you can call a professional roofing company about emergency roof tarping services.
#3 Document The Damage
This is a vital part of storm damage roof repair. While performing the first two steps, i.e., checking both inside and outside of your home, if you find that there are damages, then it is very important to document it.
What Is Documentation?
Documentation is the process of keeping a record of the damage your roof has sustained, most preferably through a photo or video. This is a crucial part of the process. It can ensure that you have all the information you need to make an informed decision about what kind of repairs are needed, how much they will cost, and what type of contractor you should hire.
These also play an important role when you are filing an insurance claim, which we will discuss in the next step.
The best way to document storm damage is to take pictures and videos of your roof before any work begins. This will help you determine whether there are areas that need to be patched or replaced, as well as help you find out how much work needs to be done. This will also act as proof of the severity of damages.
#4 Contact Your Insurance Provider
After documenting, you are set to call your insurance provider/company. All of homeowners have some type of home insurance, but the specifics can vary. An insurance company will often send an insurance adjuster to assess the damage before a claim is approved. The insurance inspector/adjuster will come and inspect the damage, then give you an estimate of how much the repairs will cost to complete (and what percentage of that price they’ll cover).
Here are some things you can do when you call the insurance company.
- Provide the images and other documentation to the adjuster. This will help them process your claim faster, and give them better information on which to base their decision. Supporting documentation can be the difference between a claim being approved or rejected.
- Make sure that all appropriate paperwork is filed correctly, so there are no problems when it comes time to settle up with your insurance company after repairs are completed!
- Once this process has been completed and approved by both parties involved, then everything else should go smoothly.
#5 Contact Professional Roofing Company
There should not be any doubt that storms have the capacity to wreak havoc on your property, whether it’s commercial or residential. If the storm was strong enough that it had a serious impact on the roof of your home, then it is better to start repairing it as soon as possible.
Many homeowners think they can handle small repairs themselves, or wait for a long period of time before having repairs completed by a professional roofing company. This is a bad idea, and will most likely lead to more costly repairs in the future. It’s important to remember that storm damage roof repair is a job for professional roofing contractors, preferably one with experience. The best way to know your roof is in good hands is by calling a professional contractor who’s been trained and certified by an industry association.
They’ll be able to tell you exactly what needs to be repaired, or weather you need a complete roof replacement. They can also give you their expert opinion on whether or not there are other issues with your house that may need attention as well.
How Do I Choose A Roofing Contractor?
New Jersey is a very busy state that is full of roofing contractors. So how will you choose the right one? Here are a few things to consider.
- Check if they are licensed and insured. The company you hire must be reputable and should follow all the rules and standards.
- Make sure that they have worked in your area before. A roofing contractor who isn’t actively working in your area may not be able to complete your project in a timely manner, or even at all!
- Referrals are also helpful because they provide homeowners with information about contractors’ performance history and skillset. Learn about who you are hiring before signing a contract.
- When choosing someone based on word-of-mouth recommendations from friends or neighbors who have hired them before, look into their credentials thoroughly–you want someone who offers full coverage!
- Apart from checking references, look for customer reviews online. See what other people have said about their experiences with that company, and if possible, speak with some actual customers as well.
Need Storm Damage Roof Repair Services?
We hope we’ve been able to help you understand how to get started with storm damage roof repair. When a storm hits your roofing system hard, it is not easy to be calm, and you need to hire a roofing contractor as quickly as possible. If you notice roof damage after a storm, you should call Northkit Roofing for a professional evaluation of the damage.
We have been servicing clients for years, and we are the experts when it comes to storm damage roof repairs. We can help get your roof back into shape quickly, and protect it from further damage before the next storm comes through! We have experience working with all types of roof storm damage repair.
If you have more questions or concerns, reach out to our exceptional team at Northkit Roofing. Contact us today at (973) 396-7416, and our experts will be available to help.